Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Havasu Canyon Five Years Ago With Good Friends and a Prayer That Didn’t Work.

Five years ago I was in Havasu Canyon with dear friends praying that when we got out that Bush would have come to his senses and this horrible and horribly short sighted war would have been canceled. He’s still defending it today as we approach 4,000 American military deaths and untold loss of national good will and treasure. In his speech today, Bush declared an undefined "strategic victory" and claimed that costs are exaggerated. "[T]he speech conspicuously lacked any references to Iraqi weapons of mass destruction - the removal of which had been the stated aim of the war." I wish I’d stayed in the canyon and that Bush would have stayed in Texas. They appreciate him there. Speaking of canyons, check this one out:

Are You Better Off?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe it's been five years! What a great trip it was. I'll never forget the moment we heard the news about the war and how disheartened we all felt.

Anonymous said...

Com'on Virge, quit teasing us. Who are those folk?
Hootie

Anonymous said...

I remember a man on horseback that came by while we were hiking and we asked him for any news-the war has started, he said. What a sad day. The memories of the trip are great.
CAM

Virgil said...

Hootie:
These photos have been digitally altered to protect the identities of these young people. I can't reveal their true likenesses nor their names for fear of Fatherland Security, wiretaps, retaliation, and possibly, extreme rendition.

Anonymous said...

Virg, are you telling me you are one of the young people? I didn't know you were young.
Hootie

Virgil said...

Hootie:
I, like King Cole, am an old soul. You may obtain my chronological age from my passport file at the state department.