Sunday, April 23, 2006

Paul


We lost our friend Paul last week. There was no better or more committed warrior fighting for those who could not fight for themselves. When I can, I’ll do a better tribute to him. I just can’t right now. The comment from Ujimasa made me wonder what Paul would have written. There is (was?) no predicting him, but this one would be typical of his warrior spirit:

Shall Ashura
subdue a man like me?
I shall be born again
and then I'll cut the head
off Katsuie...
by Takemata Hideshige (After being defeated by Katsuie)

This one gives me some comfort:

Even a life-long prosperity is but one cup of sake;
A life of forty-nine years is passed in a dream;
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.
by Uesugi Kenshin

No comments: