Friday, March 17, 2006

You Go Christine! Saints Patrick and Brigid Would Be Proud of You.

I wondered why you attended mass instead of telling the Roman Church to shove it and return to your Irish roots. The Irish Catholic Church, before the Romans screwed it up, had female priests and bishops. See, Saint Brigid Died on His Day in 525.
In the Celtic Church, the Irish Life of Brigit describes her ordination as bishop. Some scholars hold that there is evidence of women priests in the Celtic Church and of their presiding at Mass. In the sixth century, three Roman bishops sent a letter to Lovocat and Cathern, two Breton priests, calling for a ban on women celebrating Mass: ‘You celebrate the divine sacrifice of the Mass with the assistance of women to whom you give the name conhospitae. While you distribute the Eucharist, they take the chalice and administer the blood of Christ to the people. Renounce these abuses!’ Source: Bridget Mary Meehan, Praying with Celtic Holy Women.Yes! Women Priests and Bishops in the Early Christian Community and Now! By Dr. Bridget Mary Meehan
As with the Druids, who heavily influenced the Church (and as with pre-Christian Romans), homosexuals were not persecuted. Lamar Davis, one of my favorite clergymen, told me once that you can only influnce the Church from the inside and it’s too powerful a force to leave alone. He’s probably right. Hats off to you Christine Quinn. I wish you were Pope.

2 comments:

Sally said...

John O'Reilly hoisted his beer and said,
"Here's to spending the rest of me life, between the legs of me wife!"

That won him the top prize at the pub for the best toast of the night! He went home and told his wife, Mary, "I won the prize for the Best toast of the night"
She said, "Aye, did ye now. And what was your toast?"
John said, "Here's to spending the rest of me life, sitting in church beside me wife."
"Oh, that is very nice indeed, John!" Mary said.

The next day, Mary ran into one of John's drinking buddies on the street corner.

The man chuckled leeringly and said, "John won the prize the other
night at the pub with a toast about you, Mary."
She said, "Aye, he told me, and I was a bit surprised myself.
You know, he's only been there twice in the last four years.
Once he fell asleep, and the other time I had to pull him by the ears to make him come."

Virgil said...

My Mary would never approve of doing such in church.