Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Baseball Hall of Fame Honors Negro Leagues by Choosing Two White People & a Mobster Over Buck O’Neil and Minnie Minoso.

“ . . the special committee elected Alex Pompez, owner of the New York Cubans team... Also an organized crime figure... Part of the mob of the infamous '30s gangster Dutch Schultz... Indicted in this country and Mexico for racketeering.
He's in the Hall of Fame. For all time. Buck O'Neill is not. It is not merely indefensible. For all the many stupid things the Baseball Hall of Fame has ever done... This is the worst.” Kieth Olbermann.

Buck O’Neil was the first black coach in the Majors. He managed Elston Howard and Ernie Banks in the Negro Leagues and signed Banks and Lou Brock to Major League contracts with the Cubs . “. . O'Neil [is] the best player still living who built most of his baseball reputation in the Negro Leagues. . . . won the 1946 Negro American League batting title with an average of .353"

I don’t have any personal memory of Buck, but I saw Minnie play and he was something to behold. “Minnie Minoso. . . prevented from playing in the majors until he was 27 years old because of the color of his skin . . . went on to record the sixth highest batting average in all of baseball during the prime of his career, 1951 through 1963.”

I’ll pretend that this is something out of a Vonnegut book and nominate a couple of other white folks. The first, is Dial Pearl Estelle Snoddy Prim, mother of my mother, the coal miner’s daughter. Granny wasn’t a coal miner but she could have been, and she could have played major league baseball. The second is my Uncle Joe, brother of the coal miner’s daughter and Granny’s son. Joe survived Anzio and the Battle of the Bulge, but his proudest moment was playing in an exhibition game against the Kansas City Monarchs and having the honor of being struck out by Satchel Paige. Granny is the woman pictured. I don’t have one of Joe.
Buck would have taken Granny’s & Joe's selections in stride. He knows he’s a class act. He proved it when it was announced that he was not selected. He said that the committee did what they thought was right. “‘God's been good to me,’ he said’ You can see that, can't you? It didn't happen. They didn't think Buck was good enough to be in the Hall of Fame. That's the way they thought about it and that's the way it is, so we're going to live with that. Now, if I'm a hall-of-famer for you, that's all right with me. Just keep loving old Buck. ‘Don't shed any tears 'cause I'm not going to the Hall of Fame.’ Everyone broke into applause. ‘You think about this,’ he said. ‘Here I am, the grandson of a slave. And here the whole world was excited about whether I was going into the Hall of Fame or not. We've come a long ways. Before, we never even thought about anything like that. America, you've really grown and you're still growing.’”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

America will be grown up when it catches up with Buck. Bizarre event, bizarre story, great man.

Anonymous said...

You know, white people have always had this gnawing (and sometimes overtly expressed) fear that Blacks would one day rise up -- and give them (us?) what they (we?)so richly deserve. Some days it's a real embarrassment to be white.

Anonymous said...

There are times when truth must be avoided at all cost.
In this instance the truth is: "Old age is a disease and death is the cure."
It is time that as a society we face that truth.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that Dial Pearl Estelle Snoddy Prim would be happy with your answer. I never heard her say anything so crude. From the only remaining Dial other than the soap.

Virgil said...

Dear Anonymous (to others-not Virg):

What Crude? I said Buck, with a "B." Are you talking about the comments?
Granny could have been a coal miner. She could out hoe grandad much to his displeasure. She also told me that she could have played major league baseball. But for the discrimination baring women that continues today, she might have been in the Hall of Fame.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that you said motherbuckers!

Virgil said...

They aren't motherbuckers. I may have said the other, but I didn't post it. Did I? If so, sorry Granny. I meant those heathens!

Virgil said...

Dear Anonymous (to others-not to Virg):
Oh. Now I remember.

Marianne said...

I remember seeing Joe and my grandfather play ball. It must have been around 72 or so. He and my grandfather argued and tried to outdo each other. Neither of these guys were lightweights anymore, but they sure were good. Then they threw the ball back and forth as hard as they could to see if one could throw the ball hard enough to make the other drop it. The throws were accurate and neither dropped the ball, but I bet they needed some aspirin and a heating pad that night.