Thursday, December 22, 2005

Sharbat Gula

Though I said that I would explore the connections between this girl, Zoroastrianism, and the Virgin Mary, when I actually went to the link that Pie-cruster provided and again saw her face and heard her story, I couldn’t do it. This was a terrified 12 year old girl leaving her country and all that she had behind to escape a war with the occupying Soviet army. Using her to make these links would diminish her humanity and the suffering she endured. I wish her peace in the remainder of her life and hope that she, a Muslim, would not be offended that her image is used as a Christmas reminder of the message of the “Prince of Peace” and the horrors of war. We now know that her name is Sharbat Gula. Steve McCurry found her again about 20 years later. This is her picture at the approximate age of 32.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing? How lucky we are to be in the U.S.!

Anonymous said...

It worked!