Friday, June 15, 2007

Bye Bye Birdies.

Click on the pictures to hear them sing. You won’t hear them in the wild any more in most places.
Bobwhite, & Meadowlark, you were two of my favorites during my youth. I haven’t seen either of you in years. We couldn’t wipe you out by hunting, but are getting you with our lifestyles.

"The results of a study by the Audubon Society reveal that the population of common birds like the Northern Bobwhite, the Eastern meadowlark, the loggerhead shrike and the field sparrow is on the decline. Twenty species of birds in the U.S have been reduced to half their populations in the past forty years. Horizontal spreading of suburbs, increase in farming and climatic changes have been held responsible for the reduction." From Common birds on the decline by Keerat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I do these drawn-out days
is sit in my kitchen at Pheasant Ridge
where there are no pheasant to be seen
and last time I looked, no ridge.

I could drive over to Quail Falls
and spend the day there playing bridge,
but the lack of a falls and the absence of quail would just remind me of Pheasant Ridge.

I know a widow at Fox Run
and another with a condo at Smokey Ledge.
One of them smokes, and neither can run,
so I'll stick to the pledge I made to Midge.

Who frightened the fox and bulldozed the ledge?
I ask in my kitchen at Pheasant Ridge.
The Golden Years By Billy Collins