Friday, August 01, 2008

The forgotten and left behind

I found this piece from Sojourners' Jim Wallis particularly interesting. Being a grandmother, I have a heart for children. That some are hungry is troublesome...it just shouldn't be.


Wallis: Having talked to Sen. John Edwards and to you, it strikes me that while you probably disagree on many things, you both are trying to raise up those people who are often forgotten and left behind. It helps me believe that fighting poverty could become a nonpartisan issue and a bipartisan cause.

Huckabee: It’s something we could and should do. I have a philosophy of politics. For politicians, everything is horizontal—left, right, liberal, conservative, Democrat, Republican. For most Ameri­cans, politics isn’t horizontal, it’s vertical. They don’t care whether the solutions are coming from the left or the right. What they care about is, are we going up or are we going down? It’s those who have vertical solutions that the country will be looking to for leadership. I just hope we can get there. That’s my personal dream and goal.

1 comment:

Virgil said...

Amen, though I have trouble trusting anything Huckabee says. Too horizontal, I suppose.