Thursday, March 01, 2007

“Being a liberal means regarding man as neither brute nor angel.”Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., 1917-2007 Thanks for Your Service Arthur.

The operator said: ‘The president of the United States is calling.’ Then, a vibrant Texas voice broke in: ‘Hey, Artie, how goes it?’ This confirmed the caller was indeed George W. Bush, whom I had never met but whose predilection for nicknames - no one in 87 years has ever called me ‘Artie’ - is well known. ‘I am holding conversations about the Iraq war,’ the president continued. ‘And I would like to know what you think I should be doing.’‘I would seize an appropriate moment to declare victory - and cut and run, Mr President,’ I said.” COMMENT: A quiet telephone call with George W. Bush By Arthur Jr Schlesinger, Financial Times, Sep 29, 2005

3 comments:

Lessie said...

Proving that not all the good die young. --William C. Brann

Virgil said...

True Billy. Glad you're still with us. I thought they got you long ago. Welcome back.

Lessie said...

Well, I'm not feeling so good, but I'm avoiding the Baptists these days.