Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Both Virgil & Titanic Thompson Were Raised In Rogers. Virgil Was Conceived In Detroit, but Only a Titanic Thompson Can Save It.

This From Hizhonor:
Boy, talk about your bad attitude!! Now I know why one of the lead characters in Guys and Dolls (by Damon Runyon) was named Nathan Detroit. He was a consummate con man and gambler. (played by Old Blue Eyes hisself). Incidentally....for your edification....Marlon Brando played the lead character, Sky Masterson. Few Rogers folks know Runyon named him for the most famous, or infamous, citizen of Rogers, one "Titanic Thompson" who was born and raised in the Beaver Lake area and whose birth name was Alvin C. Thomas. He was born in 1892. He is considered the greatest con man, gambler, golf hustler, pool hustler in history. He once conned Al Capone and got away with it. His trade name of Titanic Thompson came from a card game in Joplin where he absolutely cleaned everyone out. Someone asked who that guy was and another responded, "I don't know, but he is sinking everyone like the Titanic". Runyon considered him the Master of his trade and the Sky was the limit on his bets. I've given talks about him and his escapades to service clubs and I have yet to find anyone who ever heard of him. I know that he and C. Jimmy Carter were "associates". But, I digress................... John
From Jim:

Yeroner, I’ve always wondered, if NOone else has ever heard of Titanic Thompson, just what circles you might have been in to have learned of his lore? NOT… to insinuate anything… of course. But I have enjoyed passing along one or two of his tales. I like the road sign and the golf drive wagers. Jim
From a Different Honor’s Joplin Friend:
Yes I am very aware of Titanic..........up here he was called Titanic Slim and was well know as a golf hustler. I think I have a book with some of his tales. If I am not mistaken there is a fella here that as a young boy was an outstanding golfer and Slim took him on as a protoge as part of the hustle. I did not know of his Rogers connection but the Ol timers up here still remember him..........I think Joplin was at least for a time his HQ

Cites to Titanic Courtesy of Orve & Mary

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Virg:
I didn't know that you were from Rogers.

Virgil said...

I'm not literally "from" Rogers. I do have family there.

Anonymous said...

Hey Virg,
What about the time honored cliche, "friends and family"?
After all these years, still no friends?
Love ya man,
Hootie