Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Onward Christian Soldier-Bush Vetoes Children’s Health Insurance Bill.

"But it (the Clinton health care proposal) would do two important things. First, it would end the disgrace of America’s being the only advanced capitalist democracy on earth that does not guarantee health care to its citizens. Second, with any luck, it would create a slow-motion showdown between private and public health insurance. Given that private insurers spend around fifteen per cent of their budgets on administration—much of it devoted to keeping the sick off the rolls and, failing that, figuring out ways to avoid paying their medical bills—while Medicare spends two per cent, it ought to be an interesting and instructive contest." Hendrick Hertzberg,
Ghostbusters, New Yorker, Oct. 1, 2007.
35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[you were doing it to me!’ Matthew 25:35-40 (New Living Translation)

"'I believe in private medicine, not the federal government running the health care system. I do want Republicans and Democrats to come together to support a bill that focuses on the poorer children,' the president said, adding the government's policy should be to help people find private insurance." G.W. Bush, Oct. 3, 2007, following his veto of the SCHIP expansion bill.
See, Bush Vetoes Children’s Health Insurance Bill By DAVID STOUT

See, also, Jonah's Today's News and Matthew 25: 35-40Thanks to Jonah & Sammy for the tips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course SCHIP is not a government run insurance program but is instead a block grant to states who use it to fund private insurance for poor kids, which is why the private insurance industry supports it. (I would like it more were the other way around since I like to see folks get healthcare and am not much interested in the profits of BC/BS).

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE for Bush to have to live/exist a year on what he considers “too much money “… He has NO IDEA!!