Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Memories of Pillstroms, Snakes, Birth & Death.

Dr. Lawrence Pillstrom lived in Rogers when I was a kid, He invented “Pilstrom Snake Tongs” while a medical student in the 1953. His daddy, Dr. E.W., “Pilly,” Pillstrom, had a small hospital in Altus and delivered me on a hot July afternoon in 1947 before air conditioning. He insisted that Dad be in the delivery room so he could see what misery he caused and not do it again. Dad said that Dr. Pillstrom was wearing a sleeveless undershirt and shorts, and smoking a cigar. Witnessing my birth was a most unpleasant experience for Dad. (It wasn’t so touchy-feely in them days) The lesson didn’t take though because Myra came along a little over 2 years later. Dr Pillstrom delivered her too. The best I can tell, he was a dang good country doctor. At a family get together when I was a fairly small, one of my aunts announced that Pilly had been killed. There were the expected gasps and cries of “What happened?” She said he was delivering a baby and was shot by a pistol packing momma. Now that was a good one. Take it away Bing.

In the photo above, the people are: back row: Mary Ann Pillstrom Young, Newton Pillstrom, Dee Pillstrom Shaffer, Lawrence Pillstrom front row Sally Jane Pillstrom Mayner Jones, Dr. E.W. Pillstrom, Mary Adeline Newton Pillstrom, Edward William Pillstrom Jr.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a proud owner of Pillstrom tongs. They are a very useful tool, especially when a rattlesnake is between you and your car.

Virgil said...

Especially when a rattlesnake is between you and your car and Bob Ross isn't around.

Charles Mayner said...

I was a cousin of Alan Mayner. I was Gordon Mayner's nephew and Ray Mayner's son. I remember Sally. She was, always, sweet and kind to me.