Sunday, November 07, 2010

Tom Joad votes Republican

The Joad family is sitting around a campfire at a Hooverville outside Bakersfield, Calif.  . . .
Connie has caught a possum, at least he said it was a possum, and they're waiting for the possum stew to boil.
Tom Joad walks into the glow of the campfire. "Where ya' been, Tom?" Ma asks.
"Been down to the overseer's house," says Tom. "Done made up my mind. I'm voting Republican this year."
There is a gasp from everyone around the campfire. . . "Tom said, spitting into the fire. "I seen it TV down at the overseer's house. Was the Democrats that done it. Was that Obama fella."
"What are you talkin' about, Tom?" Jim Casy asks. "Was the banks that done this to us."
"Yeah? And who was it that bailed out the banks? I didn't know it until I saw on the TV, but that was Obama." . . .
"I don' un'erstan'," Ma says. "I don't really know."
"Me neither," Tom says. "Alls I know is I'm mad."
Excerpt from "The Grapes of Wrath" — the sequel. Tom Joad votes Republican by Kevin Horrigan click here to read it.
Thanks to Garry & Myra

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if Obama hadn't bailed out the banks, they'd be pissed about that, too! Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
a. earls

Dena said...

I'm afraid this is too true to be funny.

Wasn't TGoW formerly required reading? Should be again.