Thursday, November 30, 2006

Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut


And sometimes you “feel like, a Christian Scientist with appendicitis.” Credit: Tom Lehrer in Send the Marines, from That Was The Year That Was.
Gloating is seductive, but I had rather have been wrong. I get no comfort in the discovery of “a direct link between mental illness and support for President Bush.” The same with the finding that there is “a correlation between the severity of a person's psychosis and their preferences for president: The more psychotic the voter, the more likely they were to vote for Bush.”
It’s, of course, no surprise at all that "Bush supporters had significantly less knowledge about current issues, government and politics than those who supported Kerry."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who is a Christian Scientist who was healed of appendicitis. That was a good feeling! (DISCLOSURE: I am a Christian Scientist too, and grateful for many healings through prayer!) All the best...! :)

Virgil said...

Grateful:
Thank you for being so kind. I have a lot of respect for Christian Science and believe that when it started that folks were better off with it than medical treatment. With modern advances in medical science I no longer believe that, but do not think that you and others are nuts for disagreeing. I recognize that true Christian Scientists would not be as afraid as I would be of appendicitis. Sometimes, with my smartassedness, my love of folks like Tom Lehrer and their parodies, and basic insensitivity converge to offend people I don’t mean to offend.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, too, for your kindness! Actually, I love Tom Lehrer too - I can't imagine a world without that kind of humour. And no offence was taken...I just felt it might be of value to add the balance of my own experience. Cheers!